Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Help Your Kids Avoid Student Loan Debt

Student Loan debt equals $1 trillion in America - and growing. One of the things I regret is not researching all of my options prior to just jumping up and going to an extremely expensive college that I'm still paying for over a decade later - but that's another post all together .

So I've listed a few things to consider to help your kids avoid a 5-digit student loan debt when they graduate college:

1. Consider community college for 2 years and an in-state university for the remaining 2 years.
2. Scholarships - Apply! Apply! Apply! (did I say that enough?) Research programs that your child can get in to now to increase the chances of a grant/scholarship.
3. Discuss obtaining and maintaining a job. Believe it or not this gets much resistance. However, there are work-study programs at the school or part time jobs that have been negotiated by the school that will allow your child to meet their school demands. And let's face it; tuition and fees are not getting any cheaper the last time I checked.
4. Consider a free tuition college! Do I WISH I would have known about this when I went to school! I've left a link for you guys to research on your own; most charge room and board but nothing beats free!

Hope this helps! Feel free to add any tips you have on how to avoid the 'student loan debt trap'.

No comments:

Post a Comment